Frequently Asked Questions

What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurological disorder that affects how the brain develops and leads to developmental disability. It is called a spectrum disorder because there is a wide range of symptoms and degrees of severity. 

For more information, visit our resources page.

How do I get a diagnosis as an adult?

Adult diagnosis is done privately through a psychologist. These services are not covered under the Yukon Health Insurance Plan but may be funded partially or fully through private insurance. This is fully dependent on your provider and individual plan. 

For more information, please visit our resources page.

I think that my child has autism. What should I do?

If you suspect your child may have ASD, or any other developmental delay and/or learning disability, they should be assessed by a professional. 

The first step is to see a primary care physician to voice your concerns. If your physician suspects ASD, your child will have the option to see a diagnostic team. To diagnose ASD, several health professionals are needed. It can be a lengthy process but is important to ensure your child receives the correct diagnosis and accurate recommendations for therapy options.

What supports are available for my child with ASD at school?

Your child may require extra support in the classroom. Your child can receive support through an IEP (Individual Education Plan) or you can speak directly to your child's teacher or the Department of Education's Student Support Services for more specialized supports. 

For more information, please visit out resources page.

What supports are available in the Yukon for my child with ASD?

Services available for children with autism spectrum disorder include therapies such as Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA), speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, social and play therapy, counselling and psychological therapy. These supports are available through the Child Development Centre and Disability Services.


For more information, please visit out resources page.

I/my loved one does not have ASD, but has a different neurological disorder, developmental disability and/or learning disability. Where can I find  support?

If you and/or your loved one needs support for a developmental and/or learning disability that is different from ASD, Autism Yukon is happy to provide you with resources, tools and advocacy to get you the support that you need.

Please call us at

(867) 667-6406 or email